Thursday, June 3, 2010

Summer Recipe Challenge - One Down

So yesterday afternoon I left Maddie in charge (!) and ran to Lund's to pick up the ingredients for Real Simple magazine's recipe Skirt Steak with Pepita Sauce and Warm Tortillas. Or, we could just call it Delicious, anything with meat and a tortilla and I am really happy. Here's the ingredients I used, the recipe, and what it looked like before I devoured mine.
It truly is real simple to make this in about 20 minutes and it serves 4 people.

1.5 pounds skirt steak (I had never heard of this and the meat guy didn't have any, but sold me flank steak instead. Then, on my way home I remembered we have about 1/8 of a cow in Shellee's freezer.)
8 flour tortillas
1/2 red onion, finely chopped (I used about 1/3 of an onion and I still tasted it late into the evening. But, it was a good taste and Ben wasn't home to kiss last night, so we're all good!)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro (which I am convinced is helpful to have on hand all the time. I have tried growing it with little success, but at about $1 a bunch, it is worth having around)
1/4 cup pepitas (also a new ingredient to me and it just means hulled and roasted pumpkin seeds. So that is what I purchased and plan to snack on this week)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (used the extra lime for that all important summer drink Gin and Tonic)

Heat broiler, season the steak with salt and pepper and broil 3-4 minutes per side. I needed to keep it in a little longer and Maddie still asked, "What's that red stuff leaking out of the steak?" Let rest 5 minutes before slicing. Warm the tortillas. Combine onion, cilantro, pepitas, oil, lime juice and salt and pepper. Serve with the steak and tortillas.
And may I just add, I used a lot of restraint in not heaping on anything extra as I am prone to do. For instance, I usually jazz up my tortillas with lots of cheese (one of my favorite foods) and a dollop or 8 of sour cream. Tonight was different. I decided to trust Real Simple and eat their version straight up with nothing else. I did choose to serve beans and rice and chopped tomatoes on the side. The girls were especially happy about this. It was satisfying both physically and mentally to prepare and eat this new recipe. I was pleasantly full with one, a glass of wine and a little rice.

SRC (Summer Recipe Challenge) #1 was a success!

No comments: