Tuesday, June 8, 2010

SRC #2

Chocolate Zucchini Cake made in honor of my mom who celebrated her 68th birthday yesterday. This recipe was given to me years ago from Clare Pintozzi who knows a thing or 2 about baking.



The birthday girl graciously posing with a piece of the cake!




Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
Chocolate chips and walnuts to sprinkle on top

One tip I know is to have all ingredients at room temperature. This time, I remembered to set everything out in advance except the zucchini (which was picked from our garden, grated and frozen last summer). No worries. It all came out well.

Beat butter, oil, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add zucchini and vanilla. Combine cocoa, baking soda, salt and flour. Add alternately with buttermilk to zucchini mixture. Mix well. Put into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Top with chips and nuts. Bake 45 minutes at 325 degrees.

I have not done much baking. But, may I just say, this was the fluffiest batter I have ever worked with. The cake was light, airy and cooked evenly. It was a wonderful dessert on its own - although true to a Ferber party, we had to have the bucket of vanilla ice cream out just in case. The chocolaty smell of the cake was divine. The taste, excellent.

Summer Recipe Challenge #2 result: A keeper. I will definitely make it again once the zucchini from this year's garden matures.

No comments: