Thursday, May 20, 2010

Summer Recipe Challenge



My super cute recipe box given to me at my wedding...and the newly thinned out interior. The picture on the inside of the lid is of me and the neighborhood kids I grew up with. I received a recipe book (also at my wedding) with hand written recipes from the kitchens of the women in the old cluster and each page also contained pictures of my youth. Lots of fun and yummy memories. What a great gift! In the spirit of efficiency though, I kept the pictures and recipes, but pitched the bulky book!

Today, somehow I managed to go through my entire recipe box while watching 5 kids under 5 years old. I threw out the ones I never make and never will make. I found some good ones to repeat or try for the first time and have set them aside to make this summer. Its a mix of main dishes, desserts, salads and veggies. I thought that by keeping them in a separate and visible place, I will remember to try them and I promise to write about my success at summer's end.

Here's the list. If you'd like the actual recipe, I can get one to you via some form of electronic device or the antiquated telephone (yes, we still have a land line and I will take mine to the grave.) More on how I feel about that later.

  1. Colorful Fruit Kabobs (because anything on a skewer tastes better)
  2. Strawberry Frozen Jam (this presupposes I will be picking fresh strawberries!)
  3. Cucumber Salad
  4. Broccoli Salad (a staple for me to bring to potlucks. You have never seem broccoli disappear so fast.)
  5. Peach, Mozarella and Basil Salad (Yum, anything with cheese and basil)
  6. Zucchini Tomato Salad (because we have magic dirt in the garden that produces thousands upon thousands of zucchini)
  7. Creamed Spinach
  8. Tortellini Salad with Feta Cheese (again, see the cheese comment on #5)
  9. Tomato and Mozzarella Burger
  10. Skirt Steak with Pepita Sauce and Warm Tortillas (has anyone else heard of "skirt steak"? I have to admit, this was a new one for me. Just which part of the animal is it from?)
  11. Shrimp and Feta Vermicelli
  12. Grilled Chicken & Pineapple Quesadilla (newly posted on my newest blog discovery, thanks to Jen and Shellee - The Pioneer Woman
  13. Roman Chicken
  14. Rustic Peach Tart
  15. Chocolate Zucchini Cake
  16. Caramelized Peaches and Ice Cream (the peaches better be great this year!)
So that's it. There's my summer challenge. At least the cooking portion of it. I will have to come up with a few more challenges. I work well with goals and deadlines!

No comments: