Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rescued

I was thankful yesterday to have something so current to share with my family and our guests as we passed around the wine and bread to open our Lord's Day meal. 

A few hours earlier, I had been anticipating Kate's Girls of Praise group coming over to sew headbands.  It was 12:53pm and I realized we were probably supposed to provide a snack for the group. The girls were expected to arrive at 1:00.

Well, we had nothing readily available. Not even some fruit to cut up. I usually keep our shallow pasta bowl filled with fruit so anyone can grab a piece for lunch or a snack.  Well, no fruit today. No munchies. Not even a few carrots to slice and divide. What would we serve? Cereal?  A can of black beans? I mean really, the cupboards were not screaming decent snack material. 

Luckily, I remembered that the day prior when I visited my friend Jill, I asked her for a recipe I had always wanted to make - No Bake Cookies. I had copied down the recipe on a post it and whipped it out praying I had the ingredients and enough time to make a batch.

Sure enough, I had just enough of both.

In just eight minutes I had prepared the "cookies", placed them in the fridge to cool and set and was ready to welcome our guests at about 1:02pm.

Rescue #1 was a blessing.

Rescue #2 happened minutes later and we began to cut, pin and iron pieces of fabric to sew into headbands.

While my iron light shone red, it had failed to heat. A cool iron is nobody's friend. Especially when it had been working properly the day before and had shone no signs of quitting.

Well, we needed a working iron. And fast. These six girls were on a mission to complete their project.

I called our neighbor and fellow hub member Shellee. I knew she was home and had an iron.  She was willing to lend it and even brought it over.

Rescue #2 kept us on task and provided a crucial step in completing the project.

I am blessed by the little blessings of the day and thankful I had two so close together to see the goodness of friends and neighbors.

Here is the easy and quick recipe for No Bake Cookies. Watch out though, they are addictive and really hard to have extra around!

No Bake Cookies
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. butter

Place the above ingredients in a saucepan, stir and bring to a boil. Stir and remove from heat.

To the pan add the following
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. peanut butter
3 c. oatmeal

Stir together.

You can either plop spoonfuls of the batter onto a cookie sheet or do as I did and place all the batter into an 8 x 8 pan. I then put it into the fridge to cool and set. Then, I cut it into bars and served.

 Delicious and rich!

No comments: