Thursday, December 8, 2011

What I Heard This Week

The kids have been father-less and I have been husband-less these last 7 days. Thought I'd capture a bit of our life with him gone. Here's what I heard around the house.

Eldest Daughter:  "Mom, we are having a sister conference so we can decide how to help you out while dad is gone."  Okay, who is the angel raising my kids while I'm sleeping? I mean really, this is for the record books.

Middle Daughter: "Mom, I actually got the right answer".  She has been working on a week long assignment. It teaches a child how to check their work. We always say it, check your work, but here it is in practice. It's genius. And may I say, this child has executed more perseverance through this assignment than I have ever witnessed in my children to date. More importantly, she is learning to find her own mistakes.

Youngest Daughter:  "I hope St. Nick puts Dad in my shoe."  Sorry, hon. He brought you Truffles and Candy Canes.  Maybe next year he needs a bit more notice. 

My Only Niece:  "How old will you be on your birthday?"  Me: "38. I am 37 now."  Niece: "Whoa." 

Joyce Meyer:  "Set your mind and keep it set."   I have been watching her on the telly occasionally as I exercise in the morning. It's a new thing for me to do. Exercise in the morning. I can actually do it. Why or why have I resisted all these years? Its really not that bad.  It has almost become a habit.  So, besides getting up early to exercise what else did I set my mind to this week?  "I will not eat that entire wheel of brie", I promised. "I just won't. By the time you are back from your trip, there will be brie left."  And there is, a wedge. 

Cyndi Lauper:

"Talkin' 'bout
Hey now
Hey now
Iko iko an nay
Jockomo feena ah na nay
Jockomo feena nay"

Got this one off i-Tunes after I heard it on my Laurie Berkner Pandora station. Takes me back to 7th grade at St. Mark's when a couple friends performed it for a lip sync contest.  Bongos are awesome in this one.  Remember every word after all these years.  For the record, I was part of a 4 girl, 4 guy ensemble who lip synced "Lollipop".  That's where I learned to slide my pinky finger on the inside of my cheek and make a cool popping sound. This skill comes in handy when entertaining little ones.

So does my crooked fish lip face.

Not sure where I picked that one up.

Youngest Daughter (again): "Will someone shut me up?"  She's in a cardboard box and needs the flaps closed.  Box became a tunnel, a house, a bed and a slide.

And last but not least, I heard from My Husband who sent a picture of him at Canon Beach with the words "Wish you were here." Then told me on the phone, "Sushi is just not the same without you.  You have to come out here with me next time, in July."

Do you think seven months gives me enough time to pack my bags?

I'm in. I am sooooo in.

No comments: