Monday, December 26, 2011

Squishy Home Made Gift

No, we are not into making green food. 

One tradition in our family at Christmas time involves making gifts.  This year my little baker and I collaborated to make play doh for a few of the little kids in our life.

I've had the recipe around for over a year and just needed the time and opportunity to make it.  I got this one from my friend Ann.  Ann is amazing.  She is the mother of four kids (two of whom are red heads...now how did she end up with red heads? I'm a little envious.  It's one of life's mysteries.)  She currently maintains two homes, getting one ready to sell.  She has boundless energy.  She makes the best chocolate cake from scratch ever. And she knows how to make play doh.

It's simple to make and really fun for the little ones in your life that are always begging to play with flour and water.

Ann assured me that the play doh from this recipe is good for two months.  We found that one batch makes enough to fill about 1 1/2 of these kind of containers. 
We made three batches, each one using a different color of jello.  I wish the colors were more vibrant.
But this is more about finger squishy fun than my color preferences.

You need these items plus some water to make the play doh. The only foreign one for me is the Alum.  "It's in the spice aisle", Ann said, after I asked what the heck is Alum?
Ingredients
1/2 cup salt
2 cups water
Kool Aid powder (We used a packet of Jello)
2 T. oil (We used Canola)
2 cups flour (We added an extra 1/2 cup to get the right consistency)
2 T. Alum

Directions
Boil salt in water in sauce pan.
Remove from heat and add Jello. Stir.
Add oil, flour and alum. (We found out that the order here matters.)
Knead until smooth.

That's it!




No comments: