Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mushroom Lasagna

I made this recipe on Friday night, a good meal for our 4th meatless Friday of Lent. We also had company over so I choose to make one new lasagna and another one that I could make in my sleep.

The adults and even some of the kids even liked this one!

I made some adjustments to the ingredients based on the baking dish I used and what I had in the house already.

Here is the recipe with my adjustments in blue.

Sorry. No pictures. But trust me, it is so good.

Ingredients
4 T. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 onions, thinly sliced (1 onion)
1 pound wild mushrooms, such as porcini, oyster, shiitake, morel (1.5 pounds, a combination of baby bella and shiitake)
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 T. chopped fresh thyme (none, I didn't have any to add)
1/2 cup dry Marsala wine (2/3 cup Sweet Vermouthe)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
1 cup beef or vegetable broth (chicken broth)
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded Fontina cheese (a new cheese to me to use in a recipe, soft like Gouda, but more pungent)
12 spinach lasagna noodles (regular kind, Barilla brand, that you don't have to boil first.)
1 cup shredded Mozarella
1 cup grated Parmesan



Directions
In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions and saute, stirring ofter until tender, 6-7 minutes. Add mushrooms, parsley, and thyme and saute 5 minutes longer. Stir in wine and simmer 5 minutes. Set aside.

(By this time you will want to just eat what's in the pan and not go any further. It smells soooo good.)


In large saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour and nutmeg (I used a wire whisk.) Cook and stir until bubbly. Gradually add broth and milk. Cook and stir until sauce boils and thickens slightly. Stir in fontina and cook until just melted. Remove from heat.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In bottom of 12 x 8 inch baking dish arrange 1/3 of the lasagna noodles in a single layer. (I used a 9 x 13 inch baking dish). Spread with 1/4 of the mushroom mixture and 1/4 of the sauce. Repeat layers with remaining noodles, mushroom mixture and sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.

Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.

Cut and serve.


The recipe was shared with me by my neighbor and I'm not sure of its origin so I can't give proper credit. Sorry about that. Just make it your own in any small way. Get creative!

No comments: