Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Too Ambitious?

Summer officially graces us at 3:40pm tomorrow.

The last of the kids will be out of school then.

Yikes! What to do with all this free time? Well, I have been thinking a lot about it and have started to compile information about fun outings and activities for all of us to do together. More on that later.

Inevitably though, I look back at the summer and wish I had somehow established a way for each child to grow in an area or two; for each one to pursue something they care about with more depth; for the summer to have had not only hours and hours of imaginative and fun play but also something in the end that says, "I did this. I made this. I learned this."

Also, we have weather to contend with. Sometimes gorgeous weather like today, but sometimes rain or blazing-record shattering heat like yesterday. When its not so nice outside, it is helpful to have a purposeful project to fall back on.

And, we have long road trips coming up - hours and hours and miles and miles of time to spend on something productive.

Lastly, I need a really good response for "I'm bored."

So, just a few seconds ago I came up with this. I think I will run it up the flag pole and see what kind of feedback I get. It may have to be tweaked, but I think it is good as it stands. I will even commit to doing it myself just to be fair. And, I really want to grow too.


Pick a Project
  • sew a garment (find a pattern, buy the materials and notions)

  • sketch, paint and display a picture; study an artist and copy a painting

  • write a book, type it up and illustrate it


Pick a Place

  • anywhere on the globe

  • find books and websites about this place

  • write a report and print out a map

  • tell us about it!


Pick a Person

  • any person in history or modern day

  • find a book about this person or read his/her autobiography

  • write a report and print their picture

  • tell us about it!


Pick a Poem

  • find a poem you like

  • memorize it

  • write it out, illustrate it

  • recite it for us


Pick a Recipe

  • choose a recipe from one of our recipe books

  • buy the ingredients

  • make it and decide when and with whom you want to serve it



I plan to propose it to my husband, then the girls, then remind myself its really okay if it is not all accomplished by Labor Day, when our summer officially ends.

Yikes, did I say "summer ends"? What is the matter with me?

I am going outside right now to enjoy it.

No comments: