Saturday, October 3, 2009

Awake at 5:30 am

So, I have time to just ramble. What's the deal with such an early rise on a Saturday?! It has been wonderful to make my coffee and head to the well lit basement to read the paper, pray and not bother those still sleeping. I am excited for the next step in the basement...shelving our books, cleaning out the fireplace (super dusty from construction), and painting the Hobbit Hole. The kids have enjoyed using the new play area after school and have had fun re-discovering toys that were stored away.

Depending on how adventurous we feel today, we may take a trip to the apple orchard. Weather looks cold and damp.

I've been working hard to keep responsibilities in order as I figure out how to best use my time and when to be attentive to the needs of family, house and others. Of course, exercise takes a back seat. Will it ever be the top priority? In terms of long term health, something has to change here! I just heard of a new book out that I am told is a good read..something about being younger next year. I think its about practical ways to maintain good health to live to an old age. Maybe that will provide some inspiration!

In light of Gail Lee's passing, I have thought a lot about homemaking and what it means to do it well. Much of it comes naturally for me, but there are also areas where I need to be more attentive and work to develop skills that I wish to pass on. It seems that Gail really impacted her kids with practical skills, love for the outdoors, striving for excellence, hospitality, and much more. Example means so much. It seems that Gail "taught" a lot just by doing and not preaching much. I think that's a good tone to set in a household. I have been convicted lately of what my children and husband see me doing as opposed to what I say I am going to do or what I talk about. They will learn better and appreciate me I think if I let them work alongside me, observe good and healthy living, and participate in worthwhile projects and endeavors. Sounds simple, but can be hard to do. I also learned from Gail's example that learning continues and can be a wonderful pursuit no matter the age. Curiosity, wonder, intellectual pursuits all should be very active in a home. Otherwise, how will we change, grow, impact others, and just appreciate the awesome world we live in?

No comments: