Friday, January 31, 2014

A Homemade Gift - Audrey Style

Shortly after Christmas, I snapped this shot of our eldest.

I would say she is "in her element" here.

She enjoys anything related to the iconic actress Audrey Hepburn. She relishes the gifts she received this year with an Audrey theme: a biography, costume accessories, and this bag that I made for her.

A few years ago I chose to make one gift for the four members of my family for Christmas. Sometimes the gift ideas are a no-brainer and a plan to create them unfolds quickly.

This one took some time to come together.

Originally I hoped to make one of these - an Amy Butler gumdrop pillow.

I will probably tackle one of these in the future.  but I knew it would be too much to dig into this year. Also, as I learned from making Ben's gift, it is difficult to hide a large homemade gift in our small house. The pillow might have been discovered early on ruining the surprise on Christmas morning.

Spoonflower.com carries specialty fabrics and a few fun Audrey Hepburn ones as seen here.  I was ecstatic to find the one below and chose the $5 test swatch. I had a few ideas for this - frame it for a wall hanging, use it to grace the cover of a journal....

But I settled on using the swatch for a pocket on a tote bag.
The tote bag idea came to me on a shopping trip to IKEA.

I was wandering through the market place and found a display with black striped pillow covers. The idea of making one into a bag just came to me. I bought two pillow covers. I disassembled one to make the straps and to line the pocket for the exterior.

I was grateful for the zipper already installed. My sewing skills haven't reached the level of zipper installation yet.  Pulling it altogether was a bit tricky, but the end product fit what I had imagined in the first place.

I think it is perfect for this young woman.
Makes her seem sophisticated. And stylish. And grown-up. Wow.


No comments: