Wednesday, May 9, 2012

One Yard Wonder

It's that time of year again!  The gardening season is upon us.

This morning during our early morning chat and catch up time, I informed my husband that for Mother's Day I would just like to work outside and tidy up the yard and begin planting.  I'm just itching to get out there and put some substantial time into our yard and garden.

Last year, I made this.


I used the pattern and instructions from this book, One-Yard Wonders. Find it here on Amazon.com.


So far, I have followed several of the pattens in this book and found them fairly easy to follow. While I haven't done much sewing in the last few months, over the course of the last two years, I have used this book and others to build my sewing skills and create items to use and give away.

The book now has a sequel available, with another 101 One-Yard Projects to make.


This gardening apron is a favorite.


I made one first for myself as practice, then made another to give away to a friend for her birthday.  Hers turned out much better!

Mine works though.




It has lots of pockets!  It holds the necessary small gardening items and tools. It reduces the number of trips I make to and from the garage or the amount of time spent searching for a packet of seeds, marker, etc.

I imagine when I am digging in the garden, I'm quite the sight in my shabby overalls, apron, and floppy hat (which is now a staple in the dress up bin since the girls discovered Jane Austen). Gardening keeps me humble.

The point is, I am excited for this weekend, praying for dry weather, and looking forward to future sewing projects to enhance my life and bless those around me.





No comments: