Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Earth Moving on Two Fronts

Ben, Jon, Aaron and John L. dug two huge holes in preparation for our installation of egress windows in the front of our house. The couple across the street sat all day monitoring their yard sale and watching the guys' heads slowly sink lower and lower into the ground. Dirt anyone? We have huge mounds on the driveway preventing me from parking our van there. Next phase in the project: remove dirt from property, purchase windows and install! All hopefully to be completed next Saturday.

I took two mounds of dirt (from above, well from below actually) and used it to fill in everything I dug out from the flower garden in the backyard. I've decided to just do with it what I want, even if that means transplanting and maybe destroying perennials that have been there for decades. I am excited to make it more my own and choose plants to put in. It has also been a great opportunity to "garden share" as many people are looking to divide their overgrown plants. It's really just moving one piece of the earth to another location. I love it!

So, progress on two fronts. More work to go, but we appreciate the beautiful weather we've had to work outside and the chance to do the hard labor. Pictures to follow soon!

No comments: